Friday, October 7, 2022

G3 Clawdeen Wolf Review

Monster High is Back!!! And so am I! I honestly never thought I'd be doing Doll reviews again, I stopped after I had My second kid though I do still collect dolls, but the resurgence of Monster High gave me inspiration again, especially since this reboot, or reimaging, is better then G2 in my opinion. 

I'm planning on getting all the dolls. so far I have Ghoulia, Cleo, Clawdeen and Draculaura. 
I thought I'd start with least to most favorite, so we start with the main character of this reboot, Clawdeen Wolf. 

Found Clawdeen at Target. Now my initial thoughts on the new Monster High dolls were that they look like middle schoolers, especially Clawdeen, and it took me awhile to warm up to them (like Lagoona's pink skin...) but after watching reviews of them I started liking them and I am warming up to this "Alternate reality" of the characters. They're a fresh new take while still having that freaky fab look we all love! As well as a few homages to the OG lines which I will talk about later. 

First as usual I will start with the box, it is a large box with a clear window, the new slightly kiddish artwork is on the bottom left side. I will admit I have a hate love with the artwork,some characters look really good (Cleo, Draculaura & Ghoulia) While some look just bad (Clawdeen & Frankie) but it's just not the more mature artwork we're used to...
The side of the box where it says Monster high is all black and looks like it would hold a stand, it doesn't...Which is something I hope they fix later on down the road. 


Ah yes Clawdeen is now half human...via the movie. What happened to Jackson? Hopefully he and Holt are going to be introduced later. Regardless She's still a Werewolf and still has her pet Crescent, although I think Crescent is now a Wolf? 
I am loving the side of the boxes! They are indivuially themed to the ghouls personalities. Clawdeen's has a howling wolf with a crescent moon, furry hand peace sign, her magic necklace, stars, A heart with claw marks and a crescent moon, her Icoffin, more claw marks, a crystal ball? (even though she's not the witch) and her shoes. 
Taking her out of the box is extremely easy, you just cut a few pieces of tape and pull the tabs from the box, the front just comes off! Of course you do still have to deal with all the ties holding her into the box...That'll never change.

Now onto the doll herself. For $25 she is great! and comes with a bunch of stuff, I like that Mattel still managed to make a great looking doll at the old price point. And not $35....

Clawdeen can stand on her own because of her sneakers but other dolls like Cleo can't. Before I talk about the doll though, lets first see what she comes with. 

Clawdeen comes with her Icoffin of course, A tiny comb, a fur shrug, Glasses (which I don't like on her), a Blue moon cookie, Her bag, Howl Chips and her pet. 
Her bag is very much an Homage to her G1 Doll, it's a soft black rubber, with gold markings on one side and a purple crescent moon on the other. A plastic charm dangles on one strap. 
Crescent is a plastic figure and is so cute, she? is purple with a crescent moon marking on one side of her? face and a moon necklace. All My MH dolls and pets are in storage so I can't do a comparison right now. 
I love how detailed the Icoffins are now. Although I do miss the slide phones. Though I get that is very outdated. Anyway Clawdeen's phone is a magenta color with a cat case with moons and claw marks all over it. The sticker screen shows her apps and if you look closely you can see her G1 skullette! 


I didn't put her gold frames on, as I think they are too big and make her look really nerdy. I wish they were more like the movie's. I will be giving them to Clawdia. I also forgot to take a close of picture of her Chips,sorry. But they are very detailed! I will for Ghoulia's doll, as she comes with her own, as well as Lagoona. 

Here she is with her cookie, wearing her shrug, it is purple and black. It's nice but I think it makes her outfit look too busy. It may go on the budget Clawdeen that is coming out.

Speaking of lets get into Clawdeen's outfit, she has kept the purple theme but no lime green (yet) The overalls are a light purple denim with cheetah or leopard print (or Hyena since she is a wolf) on the front is the silhouette of a wolf and the cycles of the moon encircling it. It is very cute and something I would wear (if they were pants not shorts) but it does make her look more kiddish. 
Underneath is a long sleeved top, this top has two different variations, the one I have has Fuchsia stripes all over with tiny full moons, I prefer the other one with the crescent moons all over. 
Her jewelry is a star choker with a gold medallion necklace (all one piece) Her belt is gold as well made to look like moons with a rope or chain design hanging off one side, all molded together. They look cute but the belt doesn't lay that flat for me in the back.

Clawdeen also wears black leg warmers, not sure why their not socks, and cool purple sneakers with gold painted laces that have what look like gold wolf teeth around the sides and the bottom looks like a giant wolf paw! Not as extravagant as G1 but still pretty neat and easier to take off and on!




Now onto her face sculpt! Well it is softer then G1's face sculpt (again I don't have my dolls with me atm but I will do a comparison in another post soon) It is still really pretty.  Kind of reminds me of Ever After High. Dare I say better? Clawdeen has light brown skin (which I wish was a bit darker) with thick brown eyebrows, and hazel eyes, she has purple eyeshadow with a white lid and nude brown lip color with fangs. 
Also Clawdeen actually has a painted wolf nose and baby hairs! That along with her larger wolf ears, which still have piercings, one a studded ring and the other two black crescent moons, and molded fur on her wrists and ankles, give her a more monstrous look. Very G2 but I feel like that was the one thing they did right with that generation. Also she has adorable freckles this time! 


Clawdeen's hair is probably my biggest gripe but at the same time I get it, she is supposed to have a different hair texture (Howleen will probably have the same) I do wish Kenekalon was still being made but since it's not polypropylene is what we got,for now. My biggest issue really is the color, it's a pale pinkish blonde (spuce?) color on top and brown underneath with some purple or magenta streaks. I like the lighter color but I wish it was either just straight blond or a lighter brown. 
Her hair is long to her calves, with a light curl and a top knot (they tried) my favorite part is the purple curl that frames her face. 

As you can see Clawdeen has a lot of hair and it's pretty from the front but the back is rough at the ends and even just finger combing it (the dolls don't come with brushes which I'm thankful for) made it poof out and get a little gnarly looking. I do hope they fix this later, I've seen videos of her hair in box braids and I may do that once I get little rubber bands. 


I did not take any pictures of her body as I want to do comparisons but I will say they have regular Monster High articulation (knee, wrist, elbow) with the added bonus of rib articulation and feel sturdier. Clawdeen also has the clawed hand mold.






That is all on Clawdeen, all in all I really like G3, if you don't compare them to G1 you will too, they are cute, have made some better upgrades to the line while still giving that Monster High feel. Let me know what you think! Any hate will be deleted. 
I will be reviewing either Cleo D Nile or Draculaura next!





Also sorry about the lighting and background, we moved, My bedroom isn't the best and the doll room isn't set up yet. 





No comments:

Post a Comment